Apply to the MFA Program
The application deadline for best consideration for all funding opportunities is December 1, 2020.
Application to all graduate programs offered by the English Department is made through the University of Alabama Graduate School online application. Please note that the policies, procedures, and requirements listed below in some cases supersede or are more specific than the Graduate School’s policies.
- Complete an online application form. All applicants must enter one of the following for the “Specialty Area” field: “Prose,” “Poetry,” or “Prose & Poetry”.
- Pay the application fee ($65 for U.S. residents, $85 for international students). Once steps 1 and 2 are completed, you will be assigned a Campus Wide Identification Number (CWID), which will enable you to log in to the Supporting Documents System to complete step 3. Applicants should complete steps 1 and 2 well before they are ready to upload supporting documents as it can take several days for the system to generate a CWID.
- Upload the following supporting documents/information:
- Statement of Purpose (the first line should mention the desired Specialty Area in the English Department). Tip: the Statement of Purpose describes your main research interests. Effective statements avoid generalizations and developmental narratives. Instead, they identify where you are with your work now and where you want to go. It can help to address the relationship between your writing sample and your research interests; and to connect your work to the faculty in the department. 500-750 words is usually right; just don’t go over 1000.
- Writing Sample:
For applicants in Prose, the writing sample should consist of 20-30 pages (fiction, nonfiction, or a combination of the two). For applicants in Poetry, the writing sample should consist of 10-20 pages of poetry. Applicants applying in Poetry & Prose should upload two separate writing samples, one in each genre.
- Names and institutional email addresses of three (3) referees who will submit letters of recommendation online via a link that will be sent to recommenders directly by the Graduate School. Please note that neither the Graduate School nor the Department of English can accept letters via Interfolio or Parchment.
- Unofficial transcripts from each institution of higher education at which you have completed 15 or more credit hours. Accepted applicants will be required to furnish official transcripts prior to enrolling.
Minimum Requirements for Admission
- For nonnative language score requirements, see the UA Graduate School’s Supporting Documents page.
- The minimum GPA to be considered for regular admission is 3.0. Students who do not meet these requirements, but who excel in other areas, may be considered for Admission with Permission to Continue.
- No standardized admission test scores are required.
- For all other programs, consult the Graduate School’s minimum requirements.