Each MFA student is required to give a public reading before graduating with a degree from the University of Alabama’s MFA Creative Writing Program. The MFA Reading Series is a student-run, well-attended celebration of the writer at work. That which had been so lovingly crafted and revised is now public art.
2016-2017 MFA Readings
Note: All Spring 2018 readings will be located at Sella-Granata Gallery, and will begin at 4:30.
- Fri Oct 6: Wyatt McMurry + Keith Wiley (Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library 205, 4:30 p.m)
- Thurs Oct 12: Michael Lambert + David Lewis (Sella-Granata Art Gallery, 109 Woods Hall, 4:30 p.m.)
- Thurs Nov 9: Courtney Eason + Sam LaMura (Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library 205, 4:30 p.m.)
- Thurs Nov 16: Mark Ramirez + Steven Ikeme (Sella-Granata Art Gallery, 109 Woods Hall, 4:30 p.m.)
- Fri Jan 26: Michelle Myers + Nathan Blanchard
- Fri Feb 9: Brett Shaw + Daniel Myers
- Fri Feb 23: Nabila Lovelace + Diamond Forde
- Fri March 2: Kyle Macy + Alex Bauer
- Fri March 30: shelley feller + Reem Abu-Baker
Other readings on campus or around town in which current MFAs, XFAs, instructors, faculty and local writers participate include the Slash Pine Press poetry festival each April (Facebook / Twitter) and the Pure Products Reading and Lecture Series throughout the year (Facebook).